Monday, February 4, 2013

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas


History and reading combine…I was a little skeptical at first too, don’t worry. However, The Boy in the Striped Pajamas is an amazing historical novel/fable. Written by John Boyne, this Holocaust themed book is truly an inspiration. The Boy in the Striped Pajamas is a story from the point of view of Bruno, a nine year old boy. It takes place in Nazi Germany during World War II near Auschwitz Concentration Camp.

Bruno lives with his mother, father, and sister (whom he refers to as the “Hopeless Case”). They live in a very nice, large home in Berlin, Germany. As Bruno comes home from school one afternoon he finds his belongings being packed in to very large crates. His family was to move to a place far, far away due to his father’s promotion.

Once they arrive at their new home, they realize at once that this home is much different than the one back in Berlin. This home was much smaller, darker, and gloomier with no one to play with. Bruno quickly explores his room being instantly drawn to the nice big window. Outside of the window, he can see a very tall fence that stretches as far as the eye can see. Being a young explorer, he decides to take a better look. Along the way, he meets a new friend with a life much different than his.  The two boys’ friendship will grow very strong and lead to devastating results.

This book was mind blowing. I couldn’t put it down; I was obsessed when I started reading it.  I can’t even describe in words how much I loved it. Talk about a memorable story that inspired me through and through. When ever I think that my life is bad, I always find a way to make it good. That’s what I was taught in the process of reading this story. There is always something good to be done. I was also taught that a person is a person no matter what. If two nine year old boys can get along as well as the two kids in this book, any two people in real life can get along with out judging each other. Not caring about what one another looks like, not caring what race they are, and not caring what religion they are, just that they can have fun and enjoy each other. That’s what really matters, right? The kids in this storey taught me a lesson that every one could use. Every one should be treated the same no matter what. I was speechless at the conclusion of this book because I could not believe that amazing lessons it taught me.

All in all, I thought this book was a must read. I would recommend that everyone reads it. You will finish a new person. -A

2 comments:

Nain Christopherson said...

Wow! This book looks so good! I've considered it before but it seemed too sad, and I've never been a huge fan of books about the Holocaust. Totally going to check this out. Great review!

Nain Christopherson said...

Oh! If you liked this, you should check out The Book Thief. It's another Holocaust book but one of the most beautiful stories I have ever read. Ever. So yeah, take a look at it. =)