Saturday, February 2, 2013

Between The Lines


     Ever fallen in love with a book character? Ever had a book character fall in love ... with you? Jodi Picoult and Samantha Van Leer's youth fiction book, Between the Lines, is a story of two people. One is a prince, stuck in the fairy tale he was written into. The other is a regular teenage girl, Delilah, who happens upon the fairy tale book in her school library. As she reads, she connects to Prince Oliver in many ways (e.g. both of them grew up without a father) and starts to fall in love with his character. Meanwhile, Oliver looks up at Delilah from the illustration he inhabits and HE falls hopelessly in love. He gets her to notice him and then they have to find a way to be together. Either she has to become part of the book, or he has to get out of the book.
     I really related to this book and it was hard to put down. It was relatable because the main character, Delilah, is a moody teenage girl in high school. Yours truly is also a regular, moody teenage girl who also falls in love with book characters and high school is right around the corner for me. Therefore, it was relatable. It was also clever and funny and was a really interesting read. One of the issues that the authors bring up in this book is being able to tell the difference from reality and your imagination. When Prince Oliver begins talking to Delilah, she thinks she's going crazy and everyone else thinks she is too. Her mother even takes her to a pyschologist! How do any of us know when to trust our senses or when to question our sanity? That was fascinating as well as the authors' view on "Fate" and what brings people together.
     I really enjoyed this book and I think all y'all would enjoy it too! A.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow! If I was at a library and I saw this book title,I probably wouldn't of picked it up. But, now that I know what it's about, I'm going to have to go book hunting! a prince in a fairytale book and a girl in our world falling in love! Amazing! This is something that I wouldn't have ever thought of! Thanks for introducing this book to me! This is going on my "To read" list.

Nain Christopherson said...

Okay, I saw you reading this book and, from the cover (which I know I shouldn't have judged, but I did...) thought it looked... well, dumb. But dude! This looks so interesting! I am totally going to have to read this. Thanks for the great review!