Monday, February 4, 2013

Jimmer Mania

     The Contract by Pat Forde is a very good biography of the star basketball player Jimmer Fredette. Pat Forde does an excellent job of explaining Jimmer's life from when he was a kid all the way up to the day he got drafted into the NBA. He brings you through all of the good and bad times in Jimmer's life, and goes through how much work it took for Jimmer to reach his ultimate goal of playing in the NBA.
     First of all, I love Jimmer Fredette and I very much enjoyed reading about how he made his way to the NBA. If you aren't a big fan of basketball or Jimmer you probably won't enjoy this book as much as I did, but one thing that I really liked about this book is that it isn't just all about basketball and what he had to do to get really good. It starts off explaining the mental disabilities and struggles that his brother has what a struggle it was for Jimmer and his family. It also tells how much of an influence Jimmer's  brother T.J. is on him and his basketball career. Forde helps bring you through all of the key things in their relationship and he explains all of the many things that helped Jimmer as he was growing up to aid him in reaching his goal of playing in the NBA. Also, Forde explains in detail every step of the way that Jimmer endured throughout his life up to the day he was drafted, even his home life.
     Forde really focuses on the training and the other things that Jimmer did physically to get very good at basketball. The thing that I didn't like about this is that I wished he would of gone into a little more detail about Jimmer as a kid and what kinds of things he would do in his childhood besides just playing basketball. Forde did have multiple items focused on Jimmer's home, but I felt they were still focused on just the basketball aspect of it. As well as that, Forde is sometimes a little bit too vague and doesn't go into as much detail as he should when talking about certain things in Jimmer's life. I just found myself wanting to know a little bit more when I would read a certain part. Other than those things this book was very enjoyable and filled with interesting facts and information that actually helped me learn a lot (especially some new basketball drills I can try out).
     All in all, I felt this was a very interesting book that isn't just for people who are into basketball. I would advise anyone who wants to read this to first get to know a little about Jimmer before reading, only because I know that if you already know a little about him, it makes it that much more interesting to learn more. Other than being a little bit vague and boring at a few times, Pat Forde did an excellent job of informing everyone about the life of Jimmer Fredette, and I would definitely  recommend this book to anyone wanting to learn more about his interesting life.

1 comment:

Logan Clarke said...

gabe mcballer. i also love big boy jimmer. but more important i love your fine work on this review. so i guess we'll just leave it at that.