Monday, May 14, 2012

The Maze Runner

I read "The Maze Runner" by James Dashner. This book takes place in giant maze and the Glade. The Book follows a boy named Thomas, who mysteriously lost his memory. Now, if there's one quality that found in this book, it was that this book is FULL of suspense. I really enjoyed the level of suspense, but there's such thing as too much suspense.
            The book begins when a boy by the name of Thomas wakes in a pitch black room, and he remembers absolutely nothing. He is soon greeted by other kids, who share his same fate: living in the Maze. Though they don't dare sleep in the maze itself, because of Grievers, which are poisonous robot animals, so instead they sleep in an area known as the Glade. About two days in, they meet a girl by the name of Teresa, who strangely enough, has a telepathic connection with Thomas. She tells him "WICKED is good", and that the maze they are in is a puzzle!
One of the issues I had with this book is that I thought that there was too much suspense. Almost everything you read is just suspense, and solving the puzzle. This leaves almost no room for character development. Because of this, I never really became attached to the characters, which kind of deteriorated the overall suspense.
But, if there was one thing I wanted to change about the book, it's that the "End" of the book wasn't even close to being an ending. It leaves you with just about as many questions as when you began the book. Fortunately, there is a series to the book.
Now, don't get me wrong, this was truly an amazing book. Though I feel the book has too much suspense, that doesn't mean I was practically shaking the entire time I read the book. One amazing aspect of Dashner's writing is that he can hook you on a book. I would come home from school, pick up the book, and read till dinner. Another great part about the book is that the characters are very likable. Though you don't necessarily feel for them much, you enjoy reading what they have to say. When I was reading the book, the characters almost felt like a friend, someone who I look forward to listening to.
I simply loved this book, though it had its faults, it honestly deserves to be read by more. I recommend this book to anybody who likes a post-apocalyptic book, or a VERY suspenseful book, I definitely advise reading it. A-


No comments: