Monday, May 21, 2012

The Chernobyl Nuclear Disaster, Kristine Brennan

Are you curious? About disaster? About a human error that ended in the death of hundreds and counting? That is exactly what this book is about, The Chernobyl Nuclear Disaster of 1986. It is really a reality check. It is so interesting to hear about how the stupidity of a few people who break the rules can cause a mass plague of sorts. A plague of radiation. I couldn't put it down. Period. It was fascinating. I myself was turned on to this book by the upcoming movie Chernobyl Diaries. The movie doesn't come out until the 25th so I thought to myself, "Hmm I wish I knew more about what happened at Chernobyl." So I made it my mission to find a book that would satisfy my ever growing thirst for that nuclear knowledge. Off to the library I went and I stumbled upon Kristine Brennan's little slice of nonfictional genius.  And yes, it did quench my undying need to know. This book deservingly gets a B+.

It's starts with April 26, 1986. We are thrown into the small town of Pripyat in the Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant as Reactor 4 blows its top. We are riding with the first response team as they arrive and die. Kristine also goes on to explain how fission, the splitting of atoms, works. We go on to learn what the health effects of the Chernobyl disaster were and how generations are still being affected today.

This book made me really think about how dangerous nuclear power is. With that big of a risk is it really worth it? I mean look what happened at Hiroshima and Nagasaki, and what almost happened at Three Mile Island! And that was in Pennsylvania. The closest nuclear power plant to Utah is in Arizona, Palo Verde 1. If something like Chernobyl were to happen there we would die. So I ask you is Nuclear Power really worth it?
Palo Verde is the closest Nuclear Power Plant to us.
It's only about 700 miles away. Not far at all.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Have you ever heard of the short story; August 2026? It's about this house that is left after a nuclear apocalypse. It's pretty self-sufficient, taking care of itself even after ll the humans are dead. I want to read this book too.