Monday, May 31, 2010

Where The Red Fern Grows


Where The Red Fern Grows is onw of the best Wilson Rawls I've read. On the cover of the book it says that you will never forget it and I haven't yet. The whole story makes you think that you are actually Billy, the main character. Running, driving, swimming, whenever Billy wants to go somewhere or get something he will eventually get there, or it. Even if it means working for a couple of years to get hte money just to get "two of the best hunting dogs around". I loved it and when you read it, you will too.

Set in Cherokee country, Billy has been struck with a case of puppy love since he was ten years old, he worked any job he could find and put the hard-earned coins in a little hand-made can piggybank. Most kids would spen the money in a heartbeat but not Billy; he is the sharpest knife in the drawer. After saving up his money, he buys two dogs and names them Old Dan and Little Ann, and trained them every day until they are the best hunting dogs around, at least in his eyes. They win medals and money, but good things sometimes lead to bad ones...

Where The Red Fern Grows is a must read if you like adventure and a little drama.A+

3 comments:

Cindy Lu Who said...

This book sounds really sad, but really good at the same time. I have only seen the movie and it made me cry.

Big Red said...

Oh my heck, my 3rd grade teacher read it to the class and I swear she was balling through the whole thing!

Tree Tree Tree Bush/ Ellipses Master said...

This book is really sad, but I like it.