Friday, May 28, 2010

Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli


Jerry Spinelli wrote this amazing book about a girl named Stargirl. Her real name is Susan Caraway, but she believes that since she changes, so should her name. She isn't your average 10th grader, not even close. She has a pet rat, plays the ukulele, and she wears abstract clothing. Stargirl is outgoing, friendly, and unique in her own way, but nobody likes her because she is just so different.
Leo Borlock is surprised as he finds himself falling in love with Stargirl though. Later, they eventually become boyfriend and girlfriend and really enjoy their time together. It's actually the happiest days of Stargirl's life.

However, the whole school begins shunning the both of them and Leo debates whether he should risk all of his friends for Stargirl. Not wanting to decide though, he convinces Stargirl to become normal. She does this for Leo, just because she's afraid of losing him and because she loves him.

Stargirl becomes normal, but the shunning continues. She decides that since things didn't get better, she'd mindaswell just go back to being Stargirl again. So she does. Basically, Stargirl and Leo are trapped in tight situations where neither of them know what to do. The peer pressure is just killing them and their relationship. Typical teenage drama. And you'll just have to read this book if you want to find out who wins in the end-the rest of the student body or Mr. and Mrs. Stargirl.
I love how Spinelli uses Stargirl's story to prove three things. Ifyou give in to peer pressure, you're really missing out on something wonderful. (Hope I didn't spoil the ending there!) Another thing he points out is to break away from the crowd and be different, be yourself. And lastly, be a good person no matter how much people dislike you. I totally agree with all three of these ideas. I really learned a lot of good life lessons from this book!

After I read this book, I felt different. I wanted to be myself and become a better person, just like Stargirl. I guess you could say that Stargirl was a role model to me.

Overall, this book is pretty close to real life as teenagers. It relates to friendships, drama, and peer pressure. It's something you as readers can definitely relate to. But if I were you, I'd just read Stargirl. Love, Stargirl is okay, but not as great as Stargirl in my opinion. This book should really be on your summer reading lists!




3 comments:

wish.dream.do said...

I've heard it's a good book. I will put it on my list of books to read.

McCallMusic101 said...

I also think that this book sounds good. If I have the time, I think I will read it over the summer.

McCallMusic101 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.