Monday, May 17, 2010

A Long Way Gone

Ishmael Beah brought his nightmare to life, in A Long Way Gone. Ishmael gets caught up in Sierra Leone's civil war. Through the first of the book he's running away from his home, his family, and his childhood. He is running away from the war, afraid of becoming a boy soldier. When he doesn't have an option but starve to death, or join the army, he becomes a murderer.

Killing, drugs, and Rambo movies become his life. Until he is taken into rehabilitation and his life turns around, again.

This book brought me close to tears on every other page. It makes you feel the pain of losing everything, and appreciate what you have. This book is the real deal, it happened to a boy two years younger than us. Think of a seventh grader with an RPG and bayonets... Children should be able to play soccer, and listen to music. Not fight each other til the death.

This book is a very good read. Some of it is very hard to swallow.
Like when the messenger comes into camp with RUF engraved into his middle, and all the fingers but his thumbs are missing... This book makes you open your eyes when your complaining about your parents grounding you, at least you still have them.
I suggest this book to anyone who is sick of perfect fairytales. It gives you insight on other countries problems. And it is always on the move. Read it!

4 comments:

Coral Reef Chels said...

Great review! I think I'll read this book because although I like perfect fairytales, I like real life stories too. I think it'll be fun to read about this boy. His story sounds moving and kindof sad, but I guess that's what real life can be for some.

Mac&cheese said...

Wow! This sounds like a book that will make you think. I can't believe that some people have lives like this boy.

Okem said...

Wow, this is a really interesting topic, and it's a nice change from the usual happily ever after nonsense. I think I plan to read this.

nbarlow said...

This looks like a really interesting story and it's nice to have something where everything doesn't always end up perfect