Thursday, May 6, 2010

The Luxe


My most recent time consumer has been The Luxe series. It's written by Anna Godberson and it is the perfect combination of three types of genres; historical fiction, romance, and mystery. Why is it the perfect mix? Because it gives you background on the era of late 1900 century, it gives you romance, with a bit of a scandal, and a mystery.

This book is about one huge love circle. It goes something like this, Henry Schoonmaker has to marry Elizabeth Holland, but Henry falls in love with Elizabeth's younger sister, Diana. Penelope Hayes is in love with Henry and determined to marry him. So she meets up with Elizabeth's fired lady in waiting for gossip on the Hollands. Turns out that Lina (lady in waiting) loves Will the stable boy, but Elizabeth and Will are in love. Lina tells Penelope of Will and Elizabeth's secret affair, and how the Holland's supply of money is steadily decreasing. It's sounds like middle school, right? The only way it could work out is if someone dies... Luckily someone does.

I loved this book and I think that most GIRLS would. I doubt any boy would enjoy this book. It shows you what it was like to be rich, beautiful, and famous in the 19 century. The girls go to dances and dress in beautiful gowns. This book has a real romance, nothing like the whole Twilight Edward Jacob nonsense. Henry Schoonmaker is a charmer, and you can't not love Will. And the best part is that you don't have to choose between two boys! I can't say anything bad about the Hunger Games, but I have to admit, once I had to decide between Peeta and Gale, I decided one of them just has to die in the next book so I don't have to decide.
It is mostly intriguing the whole way, but there are some slower parts. It is a bit scandalous, but it's better than any PG 13 movie. I sometimes wish I had a little bit more information on the characters and the time period.
I have read the first to and can't wait to get my hands on the third! B+

3 comments:

Romney Noodles! said...

This sounds like such a great book! Thanks for posting!

McCallMusic101 said...

This book sounds interesting. I would love to read it next.

Coral Reef Chels said...

This is probably going to be a book I'll read in the future! Great review!