Saturday, May 28, 2011

Runner

Runner by Carl Deuker is a fast paced and intense book. Chance Taylor has to think about that things that people our age NEVER have to think about. How will I pay for food? Who is going to pay the electricity bill? Is there enough money for moorage fee? These are questions that Chance has to think about every single day.
Chance has had a pretty hard life. His parents got a divorce and while he was living with his mother, one day she just disappeared. Chance's only choice was to live with his father. His dad wasn't the kind of dad an ordinary kid had. He was drunk every minute of every day. He smoked and he didn't have a job. When his dad did have a job, it was never stable and he usually got fired two days after he was hired. Chance also had to have a job to support him and his dad. He worked as a dish washer at Ray's Restaurant. He didn't get paid much and he had to work a long shift. As Chance was walking around the marina a fat guy randomly came up to him and offered him this job that gave him $200 a week. Of course Chance took it. This job was running to a big oak tree and "stretching" while looking around in the rocks nearby to find mysterious packages. When he found the packages he would put them in a backpack and run back to the boat and shower and put the packages in his locker and the fat guy would pick them up without anyone knowing. This went on for a few months and everything was going great. Until a girl at school, Melissa, discovered what he was doing and was curious. Chance didn't even know what was in the packages and so whenever Melissa asked what was in them...he never had an answer. Things were starting to get difficult when Chance started being followed and the packages had the same similarities as plastic explosives. One night Chance was wondering how the packages got there and who delivered them. Chance discovered that he was part of a smuggling ring. Now he was in big trouble.

To find out what happens to Chance, you'll have to read Runner. It's really good. I loved it. But it does have bad language. So watch out.

A-

8 comments:

Superman said...

This sounds like a great book I've read books that are similar to this book and I always enjoy them. I think I'm going to read this now.

Abby Marchant said...

I think I'm going to be giving this one a shot. I'm in need of a good action story(: Good review by the way, Eugene!

Soap! said...

I started to read this one, but never finished because I just picked up a random book on a reading in English.. Now I wish I had read it!

Keauna Bain said...

Beware of language Flint. That's all the advice I have for you. (:

live2run said...

This sounds sad... but so exciting!! :) Wow that was a fantastic review Eugene!

Keauna Bain said...

Well thanks live2run! (: YOU'RE THE BEST! (: I don't even know who you are...but you're pretty amazing! (: haha!

Abby Marchant said...

Thanks for the warning Eugene, but you know I don't mind foul language! I'm quite the potty-mouth myself!!!! haha Just kidding!

stranger said...

This book sounds really intriguing . How bad of language does it have?