Tuesday, May 31, 2011

The Ranger's Apprentice: The Kings of Clonmel

     The Ranger's Apprentice Book 8 was written by John Flanagan. It's an adventure that follows Will, who is no longer Halt's apprentice. Just like the last book, there are a few parts where Will is separate from the rest of the group, which is a smaller group by far, and each chapter (minus a few exceptions where there is maybe 2 in a row) alternates between Will and the rest of the group (Halt and Horace). There are several themes in this book, for the most part they are the same as the last books in the series. The theme I'll use as an example though will be friendship, yet again just because it's easy. When Horace is going to fight this "giant" person (he's just really tall and strong, oh and there's two of them) Will keeps getting nervous because he isn't able to share the danger with him, only watch. Also, because of it being a trial of combat, he isn't allowed to interfere with the fight at all. The book starts out at the Ranger's meeting are that all 50 rangers, and their apprentices (if they have one). Halt, Will's old mentor, isn't there because he is on a mission investigating a group of religious people that everyone refers to as "Outsiders." They claim to be followers of a god called Alseiass, and I can't tell much more about that without ruining the first, I think, 10 chapters. Actually, I think that's all I can say about the book without ruining it... Just like the last book, and ALL the other books, there are small details that have something at least slightly important to do with them, even though they seem unimportant. For example... What I'm about to say makes no sense, but if I explain more it'll ruin part of the book. For example, Horace is getting a drink and when the water is pored there is the sound of ice, but the water had been sitting in a hot tent for awhile so the ice should have melted. Like I said, it doesn't make much sense, but yeah... There you go. The entire book is interesting and filled with detail, but a lot of people may or may not like the type of thing most of the book is, and just for those people there a fight scenes that are just GREAT! I feel like adding Spanish in here for no apparent reason, so here's the rest. Tienes que empezar por el principio de la serie para que tenga sentido. Yo doy el libro en algun lugar entre una A o una A+. This translator may nor be very accurate, so just in case that isn't right. Make sure you read from the beginning of the series or it won't make sense. I give this book somewhere between an A or an A+. At least, I think that's what I put in...

1 comment:

Praying4NoWar said...

I LOVE Ranger's Apprentice! I need to re-read them, because I can only remember some stuff.