Monday, May 30, 2011

The Throne of Fire

For the eighth time in a row, Rick Riordan has scored a success! The Throne of Fire is truly an amazing book. Just like the first book in the Kane Chronicles, The Throne of Fire is Egyptian mythology, fiction, adventure and this time around he even threw in a little bit of romance. The theme really shines a great message about friendship. However, if you want to have any connection to the characters, or if you want to understand the plot completely then you need to have read the first book The Red Pyramid.

Sadie and Carter are young mentors trying to teach young magicians how to channel their magic through the Egyptian Gods. The only way for them to defeat the extreme lord of chaos, Apophis,was to bring back the god of the sun, Ra. In order to do that, they need to find three scrolls that would make up The Book of Ra. With that book Sadie could speak the spell to bring Ra back to existence. However, it was not so simple. Both Carter and Sadie had to go through detours and trials, but they had the aid of their friends, Walt, Bes, Bast, Amos, Zia, and all of their trainees along the way.

I LOVE this book, not only because it is adventurous and exciting but because it taught me a very good lesson. Through multiple examples in the book, I determined that good friends are very important because they are always there for you. The first example is from the very beginning of the book when they are trying to steal the first scroll. Even though there is an obvious threat in front of them, Jaz tries to heal Walt, and then Walt and Sadie try to help Jaz. It is because they care so much about each other that the other person's health comes first. Another episode of friendship comes when Sadie is with her mates Emma and Liz. Although they had never heard about any of this Egyptian god stuff they trusted Sadie whole-heartily and were willing to help. Because of this book, it has become very clear to me that we need to have and honor best friends who will help us or support us in all of our doings.

If you liked any of Rick Riordan's other books then you will for sure love this one. As the second book in a series it can be kind of hard to keep the energy in a story moving. However, this book is even better than the last one and is a must read. I read it in less than eight hours and I couldn't put it down. The characters and the plot are all so wonderful! I should be grateful to Rick for putting such a great new joy into my life.

Overall this is one of the best books I have ever read and I would strongly recommend it to anyone. (As long as they have read the first). And now I must hand the mic. to someone else.

3 comments:

LMW said...

I already read the first book and I'm definitely exited to read this one! Your book review made me even more hungry for it! Thanks!

Some Guy said...

I really want to read this book! The first one was really good and I hope that this one can be better.

live2run said...

haha! lol, hungry. That was clever. :)I like it.