Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Tamar a novel of espionage, passion, and betrayal

To start I have to tell you that this puzzle of mystery, suspense, horror, murder, betrayal and romance left me shaking and feverish. The author of this book is Mal Peet, and it takes place in 1944 during World War II, and in England in 1995, as a second plot. Tamar is set in Holland during the Dutch Resistance. Tamar and Dart are dropped into Holland to reorganize the resistance and keep the peace, as best as is possible. They are to report back to the allies form three locations, a farm, an insane asylum and the Marionette house in Apeldoorn. Tamar lives on the farm with a young Dutch girl Marijke. Eventually envy and love pull everyone apart to a tragedy that makes the world seem to stop in its tracks.
The sub-plot is Tamar's granddaughter named Tamar as his namesake. She is shocked by the suicidal death of her grandad and then sets out, with her distant cousin Yoyo, on a quest to find out what the mysterious box her grandad left her means. In her quest she goes into a dramatic romance with her guide, guess who.
This book was impossible to set down, I was hooked from the second page of the book. It puts you into a flurry of thoughts that occupy your mind so that you can't focus on anything else. Tamar was the foremost matter on my mind the whole time I was reading it, you are trying to unravel the mystery and figure out how every thing fits together. No matter how hard you try you can't pull your thoughts from this book. Then you just about lose your sanity when you finish and find out the appalling truth behind the end.
This book had a thought provoking theme of love and family. It tells you that no matter what you think you know about your family, there is something that you don't know. But, it also points out, rather vividly that you should get past their flaws and love them anyways, no matter how hard it seems.
This book is one of the best I've ever read and it is now at the top of my recommend list. I love this book and I would encourage everyone to read it. However good this book is it does have some language that may be offensive to some people and it contains some shocking violence that can really shake you. It also contains some suggestive material, so I would advise you to go forward with caution when you're reading this book, if any of this concerns you. I would still advise you to read this book. I also advise you not to drive or operate machinery for at least 24 hours after you've read this book. I finished three days ago and I'm still in its enthralling daze. I give this book an A+++ rating.

3 comments:

spartagirl said...

sounds really intense! and great :)

The Emerald Eye said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Superman said...

I have been thinking about reading this for a while and i'm definitely going to know thanks