Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Mockingjay

Mockingjay Book Review
Mockingjay left me wanting to kick someone in the face!!! Don't get me wrong. I couldn't put it down for 3 days straight. But, you will find yourself getting so wrapped up in this book, although the plot will, at some points, drive you crazy!!! I'm not quite sure what Suzanne Collins was thinking as she wrote this, because I get so angry and agitated every time I pick this book up.
The revolution is in full swing, and Katniss Everdeen has
been separated from her staged true love, Peeta Mellark. After the Quarter Quell, Katniss was rescued by District 13, whereas Peeta was captured by the Capitol. At first, Katniss is basically going insane without Peeta, until she decides that she wants to accept the call to become the Mockingjay. In other words, she would become the face of rebellion in the war of Districts and the Capitol. She begins training with long-time friend Gale, Finnick Odair, and several other refugees from all over Panem. Beetee, an electronic genius from District 3 helps hack into the Capitol's TV programming, so that Katniss can stir up rebellion throughout all the districts. After several trips to the districts to show people that Katniss is really a part of the war, Gale, Haymitch, and a crew from District 13 head to the Capitol on a mission to retrieve Peeta. They succeed, but Peeta is definitely not the same person he was before. I wanted to scream during Katniss' interactions and conversations with him, since the only things he did remember about her had been altered in a way that made her seem like the bad guy.
With Katniss as the Mockingjay, the rebels fight with the Capitol until the heart-stopping, tear-jerking end.
I must admit that, even though I felt so much anger and frustration throughout this book, I did let a few tears slip at the end. I think the main theme of the book is what war and contention will do to people. They will change people permanently, and destroy peacefulness and relationships. I thought that this theme could be a little mature, I guess you could say, for some teens. It depends on the person of course, but I just felt that some people would have a hard time grasping it, and fully understanding it, if you know what I mean.
All in all, Mockingjay was definitely a memorable read for me, and you will find yourself obsessing over it, even when you're not reading it. Although it made me angry, I really enjoyed this book and would suggest it to anyone who enjoys action, adventure, a little bit of gore, and a romance unlike any other. Also, you're going to want to read the first 2 books in order for this one to make any sense. B-

12 comments:

spartagirl said...

I ABSOLUTLEY LOVED THIS BOOK!!! One of my absolute favorites for sure

The Emerald Eye said...

This book was kind of whiny, Most of the book is just her whining about her life and not really doing anything...

Keauna Bain said...

This book was so frustrating!UGH! I liked it....but then at some parts I actually threw the book across the room! (:

Narnia Child said...

Good book. But, I think it was rushed.

Sam Sparks said...

The end of this book made me so angry! I agree that it was totally rushed and I felt like Suzanne Collins could've done something less rushed at the end.

live2run said...

Wow this sounds so involving! (If that makes any sense.) I hate it when a book frustrates me, but I guess I love it at the same time! It gets me feeling what the author wants me to feel.

LMW said...

I agree with Narnia Child and Sam Sparks; it was pretty rushed. It feel like it was the "worst" book in the series.

The Emerald Eye said...

oh ya live2run really involving,
I'll get back to you on that...:)

sunny D said...

I think suzan collins was just sick and tired of all the drama peeta was causing katniss so she decided to kill everyone off! haha i loved this book though! First one was the best by far in my opinion.

live2run said...

haha sunny D,:) I don't kill people when I get tired of the drama. haha that would be terrible!

The Emerald Eye said...

Tha's what you think, Ihink it's a good way to get rid of all the dumb drama...

PurpleNinjaLA said...

This book in my opinion, was the worst book in the series. I can't even finish it! I had my friend just tell me what happens. None of the books in the series were really bad... This is just the worst. The first was definitely the best.