Monday, March 28, 2011

Skin


Skin is Adrienne Maria Vrettos' first novel and you can tell it is. Although this fiction book serves a basic pitch at eating disorders, it doesn't quite deliver. The book mainly centers around an eating disorder and how it has a devastating affect on one family.


The story is told from Donnie, an eighth grader's point of view. After a family vacation at the lake house during the summer, his parents start to fight. Donnie starts to feel invisible and neglected as he watches in horror as his sixteen-year old sister Karen starts to deteriorate due to Anorexia Nervosa. Donnie makes it his responsibility to take care of his parents' issues and cure his sister's disorder while letting himself disappear in the process. He thinks that it is far more important and easy to know if his parents aren't arguing or if his sister will eat than to deal with his own problems. Problems that include not having any friends whatsoever, having a crush on his sister's best friend, and trying not to fail school.

First of all, even though the story left me crying for Donnie, I still ended up confused. For example, the book left out many crucial points. Points like why his parents started to argue and what Karen did to deal with the divorce. I think that books like Little Girl Blue by Dionne Warwick or Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson created a more detailed and realistic picture. Also, the book was pretty dark in some places and there was a lot of vulgar language which surprised me. Donnie had a brain entangled with adult themes sometimes which shocked me and made me want to stop. Nevertheless, he had such a brilliant mind that it compelled me to finish.


Next, this book really gave me a closer look at what I, personally, was doing to my family. Just like what Karen was doing to hers. She tore hers apart and I realized that I could be doing the same thing. I recognized the importance in changing my thinking so I didn't end up that sick or worse, dead. However, I could really connect to how Karen was feeling and why she did what she did. Instead of talking about her problems with the divorce she destroyed herself by not eating and keeping track of every last morsel that entered her mouth. And I have done/am doing those same things.

All in all, I would recommend this book to anyone. Nonetheless, I think the story will hit people who have gone through or are suffering from an eating disorder. The plot was fairly predictable but still had you on the edge of your seat until you turned the last page. For a first novel, the author did an okay job and I look forward to upcoming books from her. B








8 comments:

Some Guy said...

Sounds like a good book for a first one. Thanks for the warning about the language!

live2run said...

Wow talk about sacrificing himself for his family! That sounds like something worth reading. Great job and thanks for the advice!

LMW said...

Wow, that's pretty intense. I definitely want to read that sometimes....:)

Keauna Bain said...

It's kind of sad that people think that they need to be perfect and become anorexic. I have a friend that has an eating disorder and it just proves how everyone is hurt from it. Sounds like a great book though! (:

becs said...

This book sounds like one I'd read. I love books like this for some reason. haha

Johnny boy said...

wow. that sounds kinda depressing. but it probably would be better if i actually read it

Allison Stepan said...

I'm not sure if I would want to read this book...... It sounds really depressing.... and I hate the idea of anyone being anorexic.

Mrs. Nezbit said...

sounds like a deep book! it's heartbreaking to see people go through anorexia... i hope people everywhere who are struggling with this will able to recover