Sunday, January 27, 2013

The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien


\    The Hobbit, by J.R.R. Tolkien, is a prelude to the trilogy, The Lord of The Rings, and it is now a major motion picture. This fiction book takes place in Tolkien's world, Middle-Earth. It's a place filled with elves, hobbits, dwarves, humans, wizards, goblins, and more fantastic/ dangerous creatures. This story focuses on a simple hobbit named Bilbo, and his unexpected adventure.

    Bilbo Baggins is confronted by a wizard named Gandalf, a dwarf named Thorin Oakenshield who is the son of a dwarf-king, and 12 of his dwarf companions. They choose him to go with them on a dangerous adventure to take back the Lonely Mountain. This mountain was once a kingdom of dwarves, but a dragon named Smaug attacked it, sending the dwarves running. Bilbo finally agrees, and off they go on their adventure where they confront evil spiders, hundreds of goblins, un-housewarming elves, and more.

    This book was very entertaining, because it got right into the story and their adventure got more and more elaborate and exciting with each chapter. The suspense literally built up like a volcano, until it bursts.

     This book affected me because it helped me to realize that there's a bigger picture to things, and to try new things. Also, it helped me to realize that I need to live my life to the fullest, because someday, all that I have may be gone.

    I really love all of Tolkien's works and this book was easy to understand and follow along. I recommend this book to everyone, and if you read it, don't drop the book if it drags on. It really is an amazing book.

3 comments:

ChunkyMonkey33 said...

Spoiler Alert




my favorite part is when his chain mail saves him!

Zvight said...

I am about to read this and I heard that this book is better than the movie! Can't wait!

Nain Christopherson said...

My parents read this to me and my siblings a few months ago. I loved it! Awesome review. =)