Monday, January 28, 2013

The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien

     Welcome to Middle Earth! The Hobbit is the prequel to the legendary trilogy of the Lord of the Rings. (By the way, it is now a movie which recently came out in December of 2012.) The Hobbit was published before the Lord of the Rings trilogy in 1937. Plus, in every angle of the book there is a completely an unexpected journey for our little hobbit: Bilbo Baggins. This unexpected journey in Middle Earth is overflowing with the most dangerous and exotic creatures imaginable. (Some in which are very stupid.)

     Bilbo Baggins takes upon the request of this adventure from the great wizard Gandalf the Grey, followed by the dwarf Throrin Oakenshed with his twelve other dwarf friends that are willing to do anything to take back the Lonely Mountain which was taken by the dragon Smaug. (That's all I'm going to say on that.) Unfortunately, there are many obstacles and dangers that lie ahead before them. Though they go through many problems, they always find a solution by, of course, Bilbo.

     I love this book and it has moved me in many ways. From chapters that make me want to be in it or stay out of it, I was pushed into it anyway. I love books as much as the next person (or hobbit, goblin, troll, etc) but I really dislike when books take forever to get to the story, luckily, this does not happen at all in The Hobbit. It just jumps right to the adventure, like a good book should. Though there are many parts that are hard to understand, keep reading anyway. I was actually shocked and somewhat upset how Tolkien made all of the dwarfs (maybe not Balin) turn their heads away from Bilbo thinking he was worthless and thought Gandalf was crazy to pick him. But then I was glad that Bilbo showed what he can do and that he is a worthless Burglar for the Company.

     The only thing that I would tell Tolkien to do before writing The Lord of the Rings would be to write more adventures that Bilbo goes on. It would have also been nice to know what happened to all the dwarfs after a bunch of stuff that I shall not speak of.

     If one was at the library (or bookstore) and saw this booking laying there. Pick it up and read it! You will not be sorry or regret it that you did read this. It is a truly amazing adventure through J.R.R. Tolkien's great, big, work of art.
   

1 comment:

Clint Hanni said...

I too have read this book, and enjoyed it very much. I would agree with you and would encourage everybody to read this book. You don't want to miss this book!