Thursday, December 1, 2011

Leviathan

WWI with a creative twist. This is Leviathan, a science fiction fantasy novel with a great story. This takes place in the 1910's where German and Austro-Hungarian Empires control large, steam powered machines while the British and the Russians control monstrous beasts bred for war. It all begins with an Austro-Hungarian prince named Alek. Alek is a 16 year old on the run from his own country and all he has is a couple of men, and a robot with machine guns. Another player in this game is Deryn. She is a 15 year old who was born to fly. She had to dress up like a boy so she could join the air force in the UK. On her first day, she was lost on one of the beasts and was rescued by a massive ship called The Leviathan. Her job is to make sure a boffin and their special cargo make it safely to Constantinopole These two will soon meet and will have to work together though they are on opposing sides. This book was absolutely great. Unlike the Red Pyramid series where it switches narrators at random, this book focuses on each character for two chapters so you know when you will find out about teh next character. I think this book emphasizes that a war can change your whole life. Sometimes, you need as much help as you can get, ally or enemy. After chapter 10, I read the whole book in two hours, and there's about 41 chapters! I just couldn't put the book down!!! I would definitely recommend this book to anyone. A+

3 comments:

Tree Tree Tree Bush/ Ellipses Master said...

I really want to read this book! It has been checked out at the library, so yeah. Goodbye. Umm... this is just trailing on...gettin' kina awkward...bye.

Mrs. Jensen said...

Bruton and Tree:
I purchased the entire series for our classroom library. I wish I would have let you know before the break. Ah, well, I can't be perfect all the time. They will be patiently waiting for you to check them out when we get back. :)

Skyler R said...

I loved this book. I couldn't stop reading it when I started